Today is my birthday and as you could have guessed from the title, I’m 23!
22 has been an amazing year for me. I found God, I got married to my gentle giant of a husband, we welcomed our second daughter into the world, we watched our first-born grow into an independent “big girl,” I reconnected with some friends, and the blessings go on.
I know there is so much more to discover but here are just 23 things I’ve learned in my 23 years….
1. There are people getting married and having babies. There are also people that are extremely single. Don’t compare your life to others because this age is just awkward. Things will work out for you.
2. Do things that make your soul happy. Your soul, not what you see other people enjoying. If you want to buy a van and spend a year traveling, just go – do it. Not everyone is going to agree with your choices and It’s not your job to tailor to their expectations.
3. High waisted pants are amazing… especially if you’ve had children.
4. You don’t have to stay friends with someone even if you’ve been friends with them for a long time. Sometimes you must release yourself from draining, negative people to make room for healthy positive relationships.
5. If you don’t want to go, don’t.
6. Take time for yourself to be alone. If you need to write it down in your calendar so you commit, do it. Get in tune with your inner self.
7. Give, even if you don’t have a lot. The favor will be returned some day. If nothing else, you helped someone out and that itself is rewarding.
8. Eat healthy but never deprive yourself from a treat from time to time. Make sure you don’t overindulge!
9. Setbacks and disappointments are only God breaking us down like exercising a muscle so we can grow back stronger than we ever imagined possible.
10. Forgive and let go of guilt and grudges. They do nothing but hold you back from happiness.
11. Family is everything. Spend as much time with them as possible while you can.
12. Time goes by so fast. Do what makes you happy and leave the rest. Live in the present, and most importantly be present!
13. Unplug from time to time. I like to say “unplug and connect.” Connect with your family, your friends, yourself, nature.
14. Go out of your way to connect with others. Compliment, hold a door, smile at strangers, spark up a convo while waiting in line. Make someone’s day.
15. Love yourself. No matter what you look like, where you come from, the things you’ve done, or what society would like to label you as, you are beautiful. Know that about yourself.
16. The world has some terrible things going on. Instead of getting caught up in the destruction, be the change. Be a light in someone else’s’ life no matter how small-scale it may seem to you.
17. Don’t compare your life to others that you see on social media. Beautiful pictures are easy to take but they aren’t reality. Every single person has hardships and messes somewhere in their lives and that’s perfectly okay!
18. Pray often. The Lord is always there. He wants us to call on Him during the difficult and wonderful times. He’s so faithful!
19. Wishing for things is a waste of time. Be content with where you are, but also work towards where you want to be. Don’t rush it!
20. It’s okay to not know what you’re doing with your life! Like I said, this age is so awkward. Things will work out for you.
21. Distinguish the difference between want and need. Trust me, there is a HUGE difference.
22. Less things equal more time. Minimalism is seriously worth checking out. The less objects you have, leaves more room for things that really matter, like quality time.
23. Be yourself. So cliche I know, but seriously, be YOU! There is no one else on this planet that can bring forth the things that God has blessed you with!
4 thoughts on “23 things I’ve learned in 23 years”
Love this post! Happy birthday! Love finding fellow November babies out here!
My bday just passed on monday too and i did a reflective type post as well, check it out!
Awh! How awesome! Happy birthday!!
I needed to hear this!
I’m glad that it spoke to someone! You’re not alone mama!